Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition

Nobody ever expects the morning runner (or in my case the morning shuffle-alonger), either.

Today as I was motivatin' over the hill,* I neared a house with a front door that had two big panes of glass in it.  I could see a woman standing there, but she didn't see me.  She didn't even look.  Instead she opened the door and released a small cha-wow-wow dog.**  This dog's name, as I soon learned, is "Precious."***

Unlike the woman who opened the door, Precious saw me and took an immediate and intense dislike to me.  She charged across the lawn in full cha-wow-wow attack mode, yipping all the way.

"Precious!  Precious!  You come back here!" the woman in the doorway yelled.

Precious either didn't hear her or didn't care.  She had her target, and she wasn't going to be dissuaded.

At one time, I would simply have increased my speed and left Precious in my dust, but that was then, and this was now.  I have one speed, slow, and that's all there is.  I do, however, have persistence.  I figured I could outlast Precious, or maybe another dog would come along and distract her before she could nip my ankles off.

And sure enough I could. Eventually the cries of "Precious, come back here!" faded behind me, and Precious gave up the chase.  I don't know if she got back home safely.  I guess I didn't really care.

*There are no hills in Alvin.  I just can't resist a gratuitous Chuck Berry allusion.

**I can never resist a gratuitous Twin Peaks allusion, either.

***"Precious" is also the name of Pam Crider's animal companion.  Her Precious is small but is not a cha-wow-wow.  Her grandson persuaded my brother to buy Precious at a flea market some years ago, but that's another story.

No comments: